Monday, November 7, 2011

EASY TO BE HARD !!!!!

Have you ever noticed how when something happens, it often spurs your memory to think of something in your past.  Sometimes it's bad memories, but most times it's of good memories.  We have an ability to usually put bad memories so deep in our brain that they never appear again.  I believe this is one of God's gifts to us. 

What brought this to mind was something that happened a few months ago at a festival called the "Grant Park Summer Shade."  The Summer Shade is an arts and crafts festival held every year in of course "Grant Park."  It has always been one of my favorites because it's close to Kirkwood and I once, as a young teenager, had a paper route around the park.  I really love festivals, as you meets some of the nicest people, some of which become very good friends.  Another thing is most of the people are in a festive mood (thus the word festival) so it is usually a very good time.  If you noticed I used the words most and usually in the preceding sentence.  That brings us to the story.

A young couple walks into my booth to look at the birdhouses.  The young lady,  probably early twenties seems so excited to be there.  She has the biggest smile on her face and her eyes just sparkle as she admires the birdhouses.  You can tell she really wants a birdhouse, as she explains to the young man with her, where they could hang it.
As big as the girl's smile is,  the man's frown is bigger.  I have no idea if he had a bad night, just lost his job, if his dog died or if a bird just pooped on his head but it's easy to see he has no desire to be there.  Did I mention he was also rude.  He was ready to go home or at least go somewhere that he didn't have to be happy.  I'm not high pressure when it comes to selling my birdhouses so I usually just kind of sit back and watch.  I watched, but did I mention that as I've gotten older,  I sometimes find it harder to keep my mouth shut which isn't always a good thing.  As the girl kept wanting a birdhouse and smiling and almost begging the young man became more rude and obnoxious.  I decided it was time to stand up.  So I said to the young man,  "Why don't you buy your sister a birdhouse?  She really wants one and it's easy to see you have plenty of money."
His response:  "She's not my sister,  she's my wife, and what makes you think I have plenty of money?"
OT OH.....He had made his biggest mistake....He responded to me. Now it was my turn....The ball was in my court.

I said, " I have found a woman is most often attracted to a man for one of three reasons,  The first being looks.  Well looking at your beautiful wife and then looking at you, it's very easy to see she wasn't attracted to you because of looks.  The second reason a woman is attracted to a man is personality.  Since you entered my booth, it has been obvious you have no personality.  So that just leaves us with reason number three,  that being money,  and you are so lacking in looks and personality,  It must be that you are really rich......So why not buy your beautiful wife a birdhouse?"

Needless to say,  he didn't buy a birdhouse.  The good news was he left because even though he was ugly and rude,  he was a big man.

What this story brought to mind was a song from the musical "HAIR".  When I was in the Navy I was able to see this musical twice, once in New York and once in Los Angeles and then after I got married Peggy and I saw it in Atlanta.  The song is named "EASY TO BE HARD".  The lyrics are:


How can people be so heartless
How can people be so cruel
Easy to be hard
Easy to be cold

How can people have no feelings
How can they ignore their friends
Easy to be proud
Easy to say no

And especially people
Who care about strangers
Who care about evil
And social injustice
Do you only
Care about the bleeding crowd?
How about a needing friend?
I need a friend

How can people be so heartless
You know I'm hung up on you
Easy to give in
Easy to help out

And especially people
Who care about strangers
Who say they care about social injustice
Do you only
Care about the bleeding crowd
How about a needing friend?
I need a friend

How can people have no feelings
How can they ignore their friends
Easy to be hard
Easy to be cold
Easy to be proud
Easy to say no

 You see,  most of the time it's easy to be nice to strangers, and really care about the down trodden, but the ones we are rude to are the people that are closest to us,  our friends and family.  I'm sure I didn't change that young man.  In fact I can look at my family and friends and see changes I would like to make.....  But guess what????????   "I CAN'T CHANGE THEM".  The only one I can change is ME!!!!!!  Sometimes I know I'm rude.  Sometimes I know it seems that the only one that matters is me.  I'm sorry for my short coming and today I pray to God:

    HELP ME TO CHANGE THE THINGS I CAN....AMEN AND AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment