Monday, March 5, 2012

MEMORIES LIGHT THE CORNERS OF MY MIND,
Misty water color memories of the way we were.
Scattered pictures of the smiles we left behind,
Smiles we gave to one another fore the way we were.
Can it be that it was all so simple then,
Or has time rewritten every line?
And if we had the chance to do it all again,
Tell me, would we? Could we?
Memories may be beautiful, and yet
What's too painful to remember
We simply choose to forget,
So it's the laughter we will remember
Whenever we remember the way we were.

I posted a piece on facebook the other day titled "Things I've Learned."
It was to me a very inspiring piece and got my mind to running. Of course I have a very hyper mind so it doesn't take a lot.  If I was as hyper physically as I am mentally I would weigh 99 pounds.  Not sure if that would be a good thing or bad.  Anyway as my mind was running amok, it quickly went to things that I had learned and things that make and have made me happy.  The more I thought and the more I pondered what has and still does make me happy, the more I realized it was simple things.  Inexpensive things.  In most cases free things.  These things and experiences made me smile.  Some even made me laugh out loud.  Others brought a tear to my eye and some even had me sobbing.  But they were happy tears.  Tears that made my heart feel as though it may burst at any moment.  Memories of childhood,  memories of my teen years,  memories of young adulthood and memories I've built while I was  getting older.  I  of course can't tell all here I hope at least one of the things I've learned through   my memories will turn the key of your memory bank and make you smile.

I've learned that if I can hold a grand child tight against my chest while he sleeps that the child's unconditional love and trust permeates between our bodies and I am a happy man.

As I remembered playing outside as a child, I learned that the smell of an afternoon summer rain refreshed me just as the rain itself, refreshes the earth.

 I remember as I would walk to school at a young age, that when I waved to another child,  that small gesture made the child smile, and when the child waved back at me, it likewise made me smile.

I learned that the best way to make me happy is to make someone else happy.

I learned when my best friend Jeff moved away that a letter or a card sent by snail mail was priceless.  It still is and can't be replaced by an e-mail or a text.

I've learned that even though I can't sing or carry a tune, that when I sing  "Amazing Grace" and contemplate the words a tear still comes to my eyes.

Almost exactly one year ago I learned that sometimes we get a second chance at life.

I've learned that prayer works.  I have many memories to prove this.

I've learned that even at my age,  I can learn things from a child.

Although I would not advise it today,  I have many memories of hitch hiking.  The people I met,  the things I learned and the places I went.

Ohhh the memories of hopping on my Cushman Eagle,  the freedom I now had,  the wind blowing in my face.

 I loved riding downtown Atlanta just at dusk with the top down and the smell of the city in my nostrils.

My first trip to New York City.  I couldn't believe a place so big with so many people.

The memories of the first time I stood at the edge of the ocean,  the waves washing over my feet and the sand around my feet being returned to the sea.  As I gazed out to an endless horizon I think this is the first time I contemplated infinity.

At a young age I learned not to judge people.  At an older age my children and grand children retaught me this valuable lesson.

The best swimming is done in a wide place in the creek.

Thinking back at my memories,  I realize my life is the best.  Thank each of you for making it so.

I've learned I love each of you.

God Bless





No comments:

Post a Comment