Monday, September 10, 2012

I WISH FOR ONE MORE PHONE CALL


The phone call would come in the night.  Most times between 9:30 and 10:30 PM.  It would be my good friend Ed asking if Peggy and I would join him and Ruth on a trip to the lake to go fishing.  You see Beth, the oldest daughter of Ed and Ruth,  had recently gone to be with the Lord.  They were having trouble sleeping and just needed company.  "Of course we'll go Ed,  give us 30 minutes and we'll be there."  Those fishing trips came to my mind yesterday as I learned of the death of Ed Ramsey.  Many people would say we were doing a good deed by spending the night with friends during their time of grief but I say it was us that benefited from these times.  We learned so much about life and ourselves,  about God and His wonderful grace on these trips.  Funny how the mind works.  I can remember the sound of the motor on the back of the pontoon from these nights.  I remember the stars shining so brightly and the cool crisp air in my face.  I remember the fresh smell of God's creation and the laughter of friendship but I can't recall if we ever caught a fish.  Maybe fish isn't what we were going for after all.

As I heard the news of Ed's passing, my mind became a whirlwind of memories of Ed and his family.  I can still hear him telling stories about himself and Jessie Ruth.  Seems he always called her Jessie Ruth.  He would tell stories about when they first came to Georgia from Port St. Joe and stories about when he was a kid growing up in Florida.  Ed always had a story to tell.  He was a master story teller.  I hope his kids and grand kids have recorded some of these stories to pass down.  Speaking of the kids, it always amazed me at how different they were from each other.  Oh, as far as looks go they all seemed to favor one another but their personalities and interest were all so different.  Ed and Ruth were the best I have ever seen at letting their children develop in their own direction and I so admired that in them.  And when I say this, don't think for a minute these Ramsey kids didn't have direction.   They were always directed toward God and they were always loved unconditionally.

I thought of times when Ed was the Pastor at Brookwood Baptist Church.  He would tell me about things that were happening at the church and he was so proud of his members.  Ed was a good preacher and he was a great pastor.  He loved the congregation and was so good at encouraging them and building them up.  I can still hear Ed bragging on a teenager  speaking on youth night or about a lay member giving a talk  at Wednesday night service.  We were blessed to visit Brookwood sometimes and we were always greeted with open hearts and smiles.

Another memory was when Cindy, our oldest daughter, and Randy were planning their wedding,  Cindy insisted that Ed be one of the Pastors of the service.  Ed wasn't the pastor of our church but Cindy considered him to be a pastor to her.  I think this tells alot about the love he had toward people.  I can still see Ed standing there with that barrel chest stuck out.  As I think back I realize God had to give him that big chest to hold that big heart he had.

I could go on and on talking about what this man meant to me and my family.  I could tell of swimming parties and other trips to the lake.  Of Sunday dinners and playing cards all night long.  I could tell what a blessing he was to all that knew him but they already know this.  This Wednesday there will be a funeral for Ed.  There will be songs sung and words said.  There will be prayers prayed and stories told.  But it won't be Ed's funeral.  Ed's funeral has already been told.  It was told in his life everyday by him.

Rest in peace my friend.  I love you and miss you and I know when you reached those gates to heaven God said welcome my good and faithful servant....Welcome home.
















No comments:

Post a Comment