Sunday, July 21, 2013

AND YOU CALL THESE LITTLE BLESSINGS?


Yesterday my family met at my niece's house to thank God for the blessings He has bestowed on  us.  Even though we have done this before,  for some reason this time seemed different to me.  I had a really good time at Susan's house but after we left, my mind continued to think of the many blessings I receive from God and so often take for granted.  I guess you could say I had my very own little Thanksgiving Day in July.  I have decided to list some of the things I'm thankful for and in so doing, I hope to come back and read this list later,  maybe add to it,  and maybe I can even have my own little Thanksgiving Day in another inappropriate month,  say like September or January.  Anyway,  here goes:

First of all,  I "really" am thankful for this day.  It is a gift of God and it is given to me to use as I wish.  I just hope I will do something with it that will please the One that gave it to me.  I am thankful for the the green grass that cover the earth.  For the way it feels under my bare feet even though I'm not a child any more.  I am thankful for the comfort it gives my body as I lay down upon it and stare at the beautiful blue sky.  We have had artist that have painted masterpieces for hundreds of years but none that have ever exactly matched the perfect blue that God gave to the sky, and for this beauty I am thankful.  I'm even thankful for the clouds that spurred my imagination when I was a child.  These strange, ever changing masses of vapors,  that even to this day give me pleasure.  I thank God for His wisdom to include these in His world.   And as I continue to look up,  I am thankful for the rainbow,  for the colors that I see but mostly for the promise from God that it stands for.......Ohhhhhhh....The Blessed Assurance.

I'm thankful for the gentle rain and the cleansing smell it produces on a spring day.  Have you ever thought about being thankful for some of the smells we enjoy everyday?  Like the smell of a board as it is pushed through the table saw or the smell of a freshly mowed lawn.   Or of the fragrance of the Gardenia bushes when they are in full bloom.  And oh yeah,,,,,not to long ago I can remember smelling the freshly turn earth as I was preparing to plant my garden.  It was a wonderful odor that brought a smile to my face.  For these,  I am thankful.

I'm thankful for my family and yes,  many time I even take them for granted.  I'm thankful for when the phone rings and the caller I.D. says it's one of my children.  I don't like to talk on the phone for long periods of time but just the knowing that it is one of "mine" makes my heart flutter.  And this may sound  silly to some of you  but I am so thankful when one of our children or grand children are over and they just naturally go to the pantry or refrigerator to get something to eat or drink without asking.  I'm thankful that they consider our home their home.   And I'm not thankful when they leave but I am so thankful for the arms I always feel around my neck and the words of  "I love you PaPa" I hear as they walk out the door.  I'm so thankful to be loved.  And I'm thankful for a loving wife that knows the meaning of "family."   A wife that I enjoy being with and doing things with.  A wife that has a giving nature.  It doesn't hurt that she's a good cook too.  I'm thankful for my Sisters and brother-in-laws and nieces and nephews -in-laws and  great nieces and great nephews.  It is so wonderful to have a loving family.  I can feel God's hand upon us.

I'm thankful for my friends.  I'm thankful when I reconnect with a friend from long ago and discover that he or she is doing well.  I'm thankful that life has treated them good.  I'm thankful for a firm handshake from a man and the gentleness of a woman.  Call me old fashion if you want to.  You see,  I'm thankful I'm old fashion in some ways.  And when a family member or a friend passes away,  I'm thankful when I hear they were a believer,  a child of God, for you see ,,,, it makes me thankful I will someday reunite with them.  Yes once again..." Blessed Assurance."

Oh I could go on and on but I need to go out and check on my new chickens, ( for which I am also thankful for) and I don't want to completely bore you with my thoughts.  But as you finish reading this,  I ask you to  "Thank God for this day"  and if you are especially thankful for something,  share it with us.  I would love to hear your thoughts.  Why you ask?   Because you see.....I'M THANKFUL FOR YOU !!!!!!

May God continue to bless us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment