Thursday, April 7, 2011

AND THE SPIRIT OF GOD CAME UPON US

In my last post, I told you of the peace that came over me during my time in the hospital. This perfect peace came over me in a flash but I really think it was manifest in different prayer moments leading up to my surgery. There was a prayer here by one person, and a prayer at another time by another person, and then, all at once....BAM.... Let me explain it this way. Sometimes when I'm building a birdhouse, I get all the pieces of wood cut out. Then I will paint the different pieces. If you are familiar with my work you know color is a very important thing on my houses. I probably get more comments on my mixing of color than anything else. Next is the roof. Sometimes it will be a very simple roof and other times I go to great pain making individual shingles. Then the decorations. This may be the most fun part because of the self expression of reusing older materials.  Now finally it's almost through. The shape, the color, the decorations. Just one more little detail. Probably the easiest part of the birdhouse. You may have already guessed what still needs doing. Peggy and I are always amazed at the difference this one last detail makes. It's a very small thing but it brings a conclusion to the birdhouse. It makes it complete. It's the drilling of the hole into the house.

This was how so many things happened the week leading up to my surgery. One of our very good neighbors, and I have many, saw the fire and rescue trucks in front of our house. They came down to see if everything was OK. One of the firemen saw them in the yard and mention to Peggy that they were outside. As Peggy went outside to explain the situation, William immediately said "Can we have prayer?" Before I had ever left the house. Before I was ever on the stretcher. Before a doctor had ever seen me or listened to my heartbeat, the healing had begun. I had many neighbors, many family members, many old friends come by and many of my friends on facebook praying for me and I am so thankful for each and everyone of these prayers. Each and everyone was needed and I believe each was heard by God. There was one prayer in particular that I remember. My Daughter's Assistant Pastor asked if we could have prayer before my heart cath. I of course told him I would really appreciate it. All of my family was gathered there as Kieth began to talk about the power of prayer. He talked of the power of God and the love of God. He spoke for maybe two minutes but to me it was one of the most powerful sermons I have ever heard. He then took my hand and went to his knees. As he went to his knees my niece placed her hand on his shoulder and also went to her knees......... AND HE PRAYED!!....... Not a really long prayer, Not a prayer spoken in the Kings old English. Just a simple prayer. A prayer praising God. A prayer thanking God for His love. A prayer truly from his heart.   As he prayed you could actually feel the Spirit of God fill that room.  When he said amen, I don't know if anyone had a dry eye. I know I didn't and I also knew without a shadow of a doubt that as Jesus had promised in Mathew 18 : 20, "For where two or three gather together as my followers, I am there among them." I knew He was present.

As I finish writing this post, I stop and think to myself. It was one week ago today that the Doctors "cut me open". During that time I've had four bypasses and a pig valve put into my heart. The heart surgeon said I was very lucky to be here. He said the valve which is normally the size of a garden hose was closed to the size of a pencil lead. I have heard all the Lewis Grizzard quotes and have learned to hold many of my laughs in because it hurts laugh out loud. At the hospital they gave me a heart shaped pillow that is never far from me. I hug it tight to my chest when I cough to easy the pain. All the grand kids seem to like the pillow so we may have to have a contest of some kind to decide who gets it. I feel good and am looking forward to do a few festivals this summer. I have had orders for birdhouses from Mississippi and the Lovett School since I got home but everyone seems to showing patience.
I also have a cousin that had a heart procedure Monday, and another cousin very ill with cancer. My brother-in-law has a brother that is very ill and a sister that had surgery the same day as I did. I ask that you join me in prayer for these people. Prayer is powerful....prayer works...I'm living proof.

My God Is So Good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment