Tuesday, April 12, 2011

I WILL REJOICE AND BE GLAD

A few days ago I told a story of praying to God to let me live until Josh graduated college.  This took place several years ago when Josh was in high school.  Then a couple of days ago, one of my youngest daughter's friends was over.  I wish I could remember the whole story he told but it was about being made well, or whole, or being patched up so I can go a little farther.  It was mainly about a person's attitude.  His thinking was that I was made whole.  It's like  my carburetor has been rebuilt and now I'm good for another 100,000 miles.  Then yesterday it got me thinking maybe I should try to make a new deal with God.  I could ask that I be spared long enough to see all my grand children graduate.  I could ask to see Bethany and Chasity get married.  I could ask to watch my grandsons set career goals and their excitement when they reached them.   I could watch Cindy and Vicki and Josh become grandparents, although I don't wish to rush this, and let them experience this joy they have given to Peggy and me firsthand.  I don't think any one understands this joy until they are grandparents.  As I thought of all this I asked myself,  "Am I asking for to much?".  After all,  I would only be in my mid 80s.  Many people live productive lives this long.  I'm only talking 22 or 23 more years.  These seemed like reasonable request to me.  And just then, as if by magic, it came to mind.  One of my all time favorite bible verses.  A verse I have quoted so many times.


                  "THIS IS THE DAY THE LORD HAS MADE,
                      LET US REJOICE AND BE GLAD IN IT"
                           

As I looked through the window,  I saw the morning sunshine.  I walked over to the front door,  opened it and felt the fresh sunshine on my face.  Oh what a feeling.  I don't know how you discribe that feeling in words but you know what I'm talking about.  You've felt it before.  And I looked up to the sky and again thought "This day has the Lord made". He made this day for me and you.  And what a wonderful day it is I thought to myself.  And as i stood there at the door,  I counted 7 squirrels scampering through the trees.  Healthy squirrels with fluffy tails.  They seemed to be playing a game of chase.  And as my eyes followed them,  I caught sight of some birds going in and out of a couple of my birdhouses.  They were building nest in anticipation of the soon to come baby birds.  And then on top of one of the houses sit two red birds.  They sit there singing a beautiful tune and for some reason I decided it was a tune praising God,  and you will not convince me otherwise. 
Since my surgery,  I've stayed at home more than I should have.  Oh,  I've gone outside a few times but probably not like I should.  But for some reason,  yesterday I had to go out.  So I asked Peggy to drive us around to do some errands.  The first place we went was a new tool store they opened here while I was in the hospital.  As we entered the store the first thing to hit me was the smell.  It was new.  You know the smell.  And everything was bright and shiny.  And as I looked at the tools I would like to have when I get back to building,  I noticed the employees.  They were excited about being there  Was it having a new job?  Was it just being in a new environment?  I don't know but they were happy.  And it hit me again:

                             "THIS DAY IS GIVEN BY THE LORD"

This day is my life.  It is new like the store.  The outlook is bright and shiny like the tools.  And there is an excitement in the air like the employees had.  I'm excited!!
We then went to the grocery store to pick up a few things.  As we walked around the store we came upon a young boy and a lady I assume was his mother.  He was riding in a buggy shaped like a car and was driving the wheels off of it.  There was a sparkle in his eyes and a smile on his face that never left.  As his mother would make a selection she would include him in making the decision.  You could easily see they were enjoying being with each other.  This put a smile on my face.
It was now time to go home.  As we pulled into the driveway, I  thought to myself how
lucky I was.  I would be inside in a few minutes and sit in my chair.  It had been a busy time for me and I was tired,  but it was a good tired.  Our house would be cool and Peggy would take care of my needs as I healed  I would probably talk to some family on the phone.  Again I thought to myself  I'm a very lucky man.  Then another reality hit me.  I wasn't lucky,  I WAS LOVED!!!!!   I'm loved by  God.  The one and only God.

And just then I decided.  I don't need to make a deal.  I don't need to ask for 22 or 23 more years.  My God will give me what I need.  My God will take care of me.  My God has given me this day ,

                      "AND I WILL REJOICE AND BE GLAD IN IT"

3 comments:

  1. Beverly Shealy RollinsApril 12, 2011 at 7:42 AM

    So very beautiful and so inspiring to the rest of us to realize that this is the day the Lord has made...we absolutely should rejoice and be glad in it! Good luck to you Wesley, AND I am sure that God is going to bless you with many wonderful years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wesley,
    Your words are always a blessing! Please keep writing.You have been blessed with the ability to share the process of hope and healing.Physical as well as spiritual healing is so freely given by the "Great Physician".
    We are indeed in the 4th quarter of our lives but PTL we know we are winning!
    God is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wes, I tell you WE are rejoicing and praising HIM for letting you be here with us and sharing these wonderful wise words. I truly Love His ways and His Blessings are awesome. God is using you mightily for His glory. I have always been blessed by your words & prayers, but your writings are so Special, Real, and Personal and they speak loudly with a soft touch.
    Love you dearly!
    Dicy

    ReplyDelete